July 8, 2013

Blueberry Scones with Fresh Lemon Glaze

If you've read my Scones post, you know how much I love scones. I have never used fresh fruit but my parents brought home 3 pints of blueberries so I wanted to give it a shot. What goes perfectly with blueberries? Lemon, of course. And so, my blueberry scones with fresh lemon glaze were born.


~Ingredients~
In a large bowl, sift together
4 cups of AP flour
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tbs baking powder
2 tsp kosher salt
Zest of two lemons

In a separate, medium bowl mix together:
3/4 pound (3 sticks) of slightly cold butter that has been cut into pea-sized cubes with a butter knife
4 extra large eggs
1 cup of half-and-half (you could even use whole milk)

Blueberries

~What to do~


I use a hand mixer to blend the wet ingredients until half of the butter no longer resembles cubes (start with the milk and eggs first, mix, and then add the cubed butter). Don't beat this mixture too long, it's not meant to be homogenous.
I add the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. With my hand mixer on low I lightly beat the two elements. I blend only until the liquid is incorporated into the flour. I stop using the hand mixer and then dig in with my hands. Then I added the blueberries. I didn't measure the blueberries, I eye-balled it until there were enough for my taste. Also, I tasted my blueberries beforehand and found that they weren't all that sweet so I added a few more tablespoons of sugar to my dough. Gently, mix the blueberries into your dough with your hands so you don't crush the berries.


Do your best to blend all the ingredients together. The dough is supposed to be lumpy. Then, using your fingers, pick up small amounts of dough and drop them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Making scones in this 'drop' method helps keep the air inside. Just scoop with your fingers and drop onto the sheet and be sure to leave at least 1.5 inches between each scone. Put them into the oven at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes and then check on them. I baked mine for about 10 minutes. The bottoms of my scones were light brown in color and the juice from my berries was coming out. I could have baked them longer but chose not to.

~Lemon Glaze~

2 cups powered sugar
Juice of one lemon
2-4 tbs half and half or milk

Mix ingredients until you get the right consistency.

Once your scones have cooled, drizzle your glaze liberally.

mmmmm MMMMMMMMM I hope you enjoy these lovely scones. I certainly did!

No comments: